Since I’ve become a perpetually tired frazzled mom, my morning makeup routine usually consists of wiping my face with a cold rag and slapping on some moisturizer. It’s the kind of look that needs a good Snapchat filter to make it presentable. But since I’ve started doing beauty product reviews, I’ve had a reason to put in a little extra effort while testing out products, and I really enjoy it. Looking better makes me feel better. I smile more. I say hi to people. I leave the house.
So since putting a little effort into my appearance actually improves my life, but it’s still a very busy life, I’ve managed to whittle it down to a routine that takes less than 10 minutes. I use primer, cover-up, mascara, brow pencil, lip gloss and powder.
Here’s what I do:
1. I start with the BECCA Anti-Fatigue Under Eye Primer primer because it does half the job for me in one little swipe. I got this as a free sample and now I’m hooked. Sometimes if I’m really in a hurry, I just slap this on under my eyes and go. At $32, it’s a little pricier than my usual make-up, but it makes me look better in five seconds so it’s worth it.
2. I use a super tiny bit of medium coverage make-up under my eyes, on my eye lids and over any spots on my face. I have a scar and some hyper pigmentation from the sun I like to cover.
3. I do a quick little brow fill in with a pencil because mine are skinny and light. You can totally skip this if you already have good brows.
4. Mascara! I feel like mascara really makes a big difference and makes me look more awake. Right now I’m using MAC Zoom Lash in black, but I just checked an it seems they are doing away with this so it’s time for me to find a new mascara.
5. I’m really shiny so I like to put a little BECCA Setting Powder on my shiny spots. Any kind of anti-shine powder will work.
6. Swipe on some tinted gloss and I’m ready to go!
Full disclosure- I brushed my hair too.
I’ve actually kept up with it the past few weeks. I can’t say I do it every single day, but at least 5 our of 7 days now I don’t look like a hot mess. If I’m in a super hurry, I have a two-minute routine that just consists of the primer, mascara and a little dusting of powder.
And then if I have a good two hours and a lot more products, I can do this:
*I dressed up the other night to volunteer at a cancer benefit with a Rockabilly Prom theme, so I decided to go all Marilyn for the evening.