This post was sponsored by Fresh From Florida as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central, however all opinions expressed are my own.
Spring is here and along with it comes the Florida sunshine and warm weather that makes our veggies ripe and ready for yummy dishes. Right now you can find Fresh from Florida bell peppers, squash and sweet corn all at the peak of freshness! One of my favorite ways to use bell peppers is in fajitas. I love to mix in red and green bell peppers along with onions and a marinated skirt steak. And the peppers are loaded with Vitamin C, providing 169% of your RDI, so these are both tasty and good for you!
Skirt steak is a great cut for fajitas, but you can use any kind of beef or even chicken for this recipe. You’ll want to marinate it for at least an hour to tenderize the meat and let it soak up the flavor. I also highly recommend using a cast iron skillet for cooking fajitas. You won’t get the same sear on the peppers and onions if you use a non-stick pan. And you don’t have to stop at peppers and onions- mix in mushrooms, carrots, zucchini and more for a veggie-packed fajita.
Make the Marinade:
2 Tbs. Olive oil
2 Tbs. Lemon juice (or fresh squeeze 1 lemon & 1 lime)
2 Tbs. Lime juice
1 1/2 Tsp. Garlic salt
1 1/2 Tsp. Chilli powder
1 Tsp. Cumin
1 Tsp. Onion powder
1/2 Tsp. Paprika
1/2 Tsp. Red pepper flakes (omit if you don’t like the heat)
Mix together in a large bowl and add the meat. Soak in the refrigerator at least an hour, longer for more flavor.
Prep the Veggies:
Slice your onions and peppers long and thin so they fit nicely in the tortilla wraps. I used purple onions but sweet onions work great too.
Chop cilantro to add as a garnish.
Start the cookin’:
- Heat a little oil in your pan (preferably cast iron). You know it’s ready when you toss a few drops of water on the pan and it sizzles.
- Start with your onions and cook them until they start to get a little see-through.
- Next add the peppers and cook a couple minutes.
- And finally add in the steak and the marinade and mix it all up!
Plate your masterpiece:
Now put it all in a tortilla, top with a little cilantro, shredded cheese or add some sour cream, then fold it up and enjoy!
Want to learn more about Fresh from Florida fruits and veggies? Check out their website where you’ll see what’s in season and find more great recipes: Fresh from Florida
You can also follow them on social media and check out their Fresh! recipe videos:
- Fresh From Florida on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FloridaAgriculture/
- Fresh From Florida on Twitter: https://twitter.com/freshfromFL
- Fresh From Florida on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/freshfromflorida/