What happens when one Guy decides to become the hero of his own story? Find out in the new 20th Century Studios’ action-comedy Free Guy, which debuted on all major digital platforms September 28, and will be available on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD October 12. Release includes never-before-seen bonus material including two deleted scenes, an extended scene, bloopers and making-of featurettes!
Disclaimer: We were sent a complimentary screener to watch and review the film. All opinions are my own.
Free Guy Synopsis
Guy (Ryan Reynolds) is just a mild-mannered bank teller that gets up every day, feeds his pet goldfish, gets a cup of coffee and then goes to work where bank robbers bust in and threaten to shoot everyone. And then he goes home, goes to sleep and does it all again the next day. And he’s totally happy about it.
Free Guy is a bit like the Truman Show meets Fortnite. Except this city is an open-world video game called Free City, and the main character is a non-player character (NPC). For those not familiar with video games, an NPC is any character in a game that is controlled by the computer and not the player. They have a predetermined set of behaviors, and don’t normally deviant from their programming….that is, until Guy spots a certain girl in the game and his whole world opens up to new possibilities. Seeing her sets off a spark that eventually leads him to try and save the world he lives in and help the girl of his dreams.
More than Just a Video Game Movie
Ryan Reynolds does a great job of bringing Guy to life and embracing his new role as Blue Shirt Guy. The movie is cute and funny, and family-friendly. It’s a movie about a video game, but also a love story and a message about embracing your true potential. I thought it was an original storyline, and a nice surprise! With so many remakes being made, it was nice to watch something with a new story. It will keep you entertained even if you aren’t into video games.
Free Guy is currently available for purchase for $19.99 on all major digital streaming platforms. Purchase includes special bonus features with deleted scenes and bloopers:
20th Century Studios’ Free Guy Bonus Features*
- Deleted and Extended Scenes
- Guy and Buddy Hit the Beach
- Hot Nuts Gets Blown
- NPC Rally (Extended)
- Gag Reel
- Dude vs Guy – Join Ryan Reynolds, director Shawn Levy and the creative and stunt teams as they reveal the innovative process of creating Free Guy’s ultimate showdown between Guy and the wildly amped-up, spray-tanned, frosted-tipped version of himself known as Dude.
- Creating Molotovgirl – Jodie Comer transforms from a brilliant programmer to her fierce avatar in Free Guy. Watch as the award-winning action star and filmmakers deconstruct the conceptualization, evolution and execution of bringing Molotovgirl to life.
- It’s Taika’s World – Free Guy’s outrageous action may exist in a virtual world, but Taika Waititi makes the real world just as crazy with the over-the-top Antwan. See him at work in this entertaining showcase of a genuinely talented and hilarious performer.
- Welcome to Free City – Delve into the reality-skewing universe that is Free City, as revealed by director Shawn Levy, the cast, and its inventive creative teams. Find out how they transformed a real metropolis into a virtual playground where anything is possible
Check out the Free Guy trailer on YouTube:
Categories: Culture, Movies & TV
Leave a Reply