This week’s featured geek has been known to show up around town dressed like Wonder Woman, drives a car decorated with her favorite superhero and makes neat nerdy things in her Etsy shop Lazy Girl Art Studio.
1) Let’s start with the basics – I’m Jenna Esposito and you can find me as JennaEspositoCosplay on Facebook and Instagram.
2) What do you geek out on?
Wonder Woman mostly, but any female superheroes or strong women in general. I’ve been collecting action figures and Wonder Woman stuff for a really long time. My WW collection started small, on a shelf in my room. Now it’s bled into my car, work, kitchen, you name it. Sometimes I wonder how many people are looking at the crazy lady getting out of her WW car, with her WW purse, holding her WW tervis. I have zero clue about politics or history or current events, but ask me about pop culture and it’s highly likely I can answer any question thrown at me.
3) Marvel or DC? and Why? DC! I feel that they’ve included more female superheroes and made them more interesting and empowering. That is probably becoming less and less of an issue these days but I grew up on Justice League which was definitely more prevalent at the time.
4) Star Wars or Star Trek? and Why? Star Wars. I never really got into Star Trek at all although I am loving watching The Orville which is kind of similar. I’m not a huge Star Wars nerd either but I have been known to walk with the Last Council Saber Academy in a parade or two.
5) Were you a geeky kid or did you come into it later in life? I’ve been obsessed with WW since I was really little because of the TV show. I had all the dolls and accessories they had back then. But as I got older I was a closeted geek. I didn’t have friends that were into any of this. I had a life renewal around 2012 and I found out about Megacon. When I walked in there I was blown away at everything it contains. I finally found this world I’ve always belonged in.
6) Are your kids into the geek stuff too? Ha! Maybe because I have kind of forced it into them. Seriously though, I’d say one is more into it than the other. Now that they’re old enough, if they want to cosplay someone I make them do it. Sometimes it doesn’t get done because it’s not that important to them. If I get an idea in my head about a costume you can pretty much bet on it happening. Grace has a small collection of Harley Quinn and The Flash things (though I may have bought most of them for her) They’re both artists and I feel sometimes that creating art and being geeky go hand in hand.
7) Are you working on anything right now you’d like to share? Nope 🙁 I think I’ve been in a little funk lately. I haven’t been inspired, but I haven’t really been looking too much because money is tight at the moment. There’s always pictures in my phone of things I want to do, I just need to buy a 100 things to make them with. Sometimes I get inspired by seeing something I can make with things I already have, hopefully one of those will pop up in my life soon.
Please like and share: